Saturday, January 9, 2010

Taipei Thurs. Fri. Sat.

On Thursday I headed out to Academia Sinica. I was amazed I actually made it because the trip requires 2 metro's and 2 buses. When I got there, they told me that Academia Sinica was not on my list of my institutions, but the receptionist gave me a book of their research fellows to contact. So, I emailed two, and will hopefully be able to meet with them next week. After that I went in search of the Artist Village, but I could not find it and decided to go home. That night, the owner of the hostel suggested a quiet cozy coffee house nearby, and I went there to sort out my plans for Friday. It was the perfect end to a rainy day. The next day was far more successful. On Friday, I went to Chung-Hua Institute for Economic Research, they told me I couldn't meet with anyone yet but I left my email and a woman there is going to set up an interview, so I have to email her as well, and will hopefully have an interview next week. Then I went to Taiwan National University and met with a professor in the Economics department there. He was American, but he offered an interesting perspective on the history of Taiwan's economics. After that, I headed out to Dihua jie, which is an area where they sell all sorts of dried things and candy for Chinese New Year. There was all sorts of tea, and tree bark, and even dried shrimp and squid. It was really neat! Today (Saturday) we had our first sunny day since I arrived and that made all the difference. It was really beautiful and warm. Josh and I went to the weekend jade and flower market, and it was really amazing. It was absolutely huge, and far more expensive than I imagined! But today really made up for the past 4 rainy days we have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment